We are recruiting for a female/non-binary skater to join our team and staff our weekly girls night
We’re looking for someone to join the BYC skate team, primarily to staff our girls night on Thursday evenings. We’ll also ask you to help cover other sessions in our program as they are needed, and extra sessions during school holidays. As this is a bank staff position hours will be flexible and subject to change.
Duties for working the session include –
- General staffing of the park, including signing in attendees, taking payments and supervising sessions.
- Teaching and assisting users of the park where necessary or called upon.
- Supporting though encouragement, conversation and acting as a role model to park users.
- Sharing responsibility of the safety and wellbeing of park users.
- Working with the team to help improve the offers we have for girls and women at the park, and leading on ideas for what we can do here going forward.
Additional work outside of this session will be available at times and will include –
- All of the above in other open sessions
- Helping to teach skateboarding to people of varying ages and abilities, both in structured lessons and on a casual basis.
- Attending staff meetings and supervisions where necessary
The successful applicant(s) will be inducted and receive training for all roles and responsibilities. The position will be subject to a two month trial period, which will include regular support and supervision.
We are looking for someone who –
- Is available to work our girls session shift (currently 6:15 – 9:15pm every Thursday), and preferably has flexibility to cover other sessions when needed, mainly evenings and weekends.
- Is reasonably competent at skateboarding.
- Has an overall basic knowledge of skating, including tricks, culture and apparatus.
- Is confident in working with and teaching people of all ages, especially children and teenagers.
- Has good communication skills.
- Understands professional boundaries when it comes to working with people attending the skatepark.
Additional desirable attributes –
- Previous experience in any relatable fields
- Is active in the wider skate scene around the area
- Minimum age for applicants is 18.
- Start date – immediate
- Additional work will be offered when needed. This will vary in frequency and may become regular if staffing requirements change providing you are available.
- Pay rate is £10 p/h
- Successful applicants will need to be DBS checked. We will arrange this ourselves on your behalf.
To apply for the role, please complete the application form, referring to the candidate requirements listed above for guidance. Email your completed application to email@example.com, or post / hand it in to Brighton Youth Centre directly. Applications not done through this method will be disregarded.
If you have any questions or are unclear on anything you’ve read and would like some advice, please don’t hesitate to contact us at the same email address.
Deadline for applications are Monday 27th of September. Successful applicants will be invited to an interview stage, currently scheduled to be Monday 4th of October.
Application Form (Word Document) Contact us if you require this form in a different format. We can also provide a printed version here.
*This role is an exception to the Equality Act 2010 under section 159. We are looking to employ a female worker to support and encourage the growth of the female skate scene, as it is currently under represented within the sport.